TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

DFL#1 Race Report by Matt Leonard (9/14)


So I made my CX debut last night at the first DFL race of the season. It was pretty much what I expected; a bunch of dudes in skirts kicking my ass. I got there early enough to do a warm up lap, but I realize now how important it is to actually study the course and think about which obstacles to ride over and where I actually need to get off. Also, thinking ahead to be in the right gear when I jump back on my bike.

I lined up towards the back 3rd of the pack and away we went. Oh yeah, there were probably 75 people there racing. Anyway, I started off and passed about 10 people right away, but it didn't matter too much. At the first little bit of single track, we were just stopped, waiting for people to line up and get by. After the first lap, things were going pretty well. I think I got lapped on the 2nd lap, but those guys had such a head start not having to deal with all the traffic jams. I feel like I am getting the hang of things. My big hassle was my chain fell off about 5 times. Time for a little bike maintenance. I put new cables and housings on, but I think the cables have stretched a little and I need to tighten them up and adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur. Anyway, after about 4 or 5 laps and 46 minutes, I came through and thought I heard someone say "those guys are done", but people kept going. So I figured I would just go for it and do one more lap, just in case. I think I didn't need to, since there was only one guy behind me after I came in, but oh well.

Results: Who knows, I got passed a lot, but passed a lot of people at the same time. Definitely need some more practice on my dismounts. I feel like I can only dismount with my hands on the hoods. I need to practice not having to move my hands from the drops to the hoods every time I want to get off and run.

All in all, a good time. I ran in to Paul, Julie and Tim from Roaring Mouse, Jesse from Team Ritchey and Brian Rodgers from Sycip, who I met a the Mt Sutro trail work day. Brian said he used to ride with TWW a little while back, said he knew Nick. Nick who? Oh yeah, that concrete counter top guy! (One of these days I'll get you your trainer back.) Anyway, pictures are here. There's one of me at 97 of 141. Maybe one of you will decide to come and join me next week. Should be fun again. I should be there for sure, if nothing else, I forget to by a t-shirt before I left last night. Next time I I plan on preparing a little more, and by that, I mean bring beer. Hopefully that will get some of you out there on your bikes.

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home