TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

DFL#2 Race Report by Matt Leonard (9/21)


So after spending 10 minutes adjusting my shifters on tuesday night, I felt confident I wouldn't be dropping my chain. I showed up to the parking lot at the super secret undisclosed location and started getting ready. As I was pulling my bike (err, Isaias's bike) out of my car, the guy next to me, dressed in a hideous skirt, some sequin green top, a wig and a ton of red lipstick asked me if I'd ever been beaten by a girl. My response: plenty of times. Anyway, I went and paid my $5, since I refuse to wear a dress, and got my race number.

As I went for my first warm up lap, I noticed quickly how much more of a hilly course it was compared to last week. Also, a lot less barriers. I did about 3 warm up laps and went to figure out where the start was going to be. I lined up about half way back, but by the time everyone else showed up, I was probably in that last 20% of the group 80 or so people, way in back. So we started off, with the leaders already way out in front. I passed a good amount of people right way and quickly saw a Roaring Mouse jersey. Time to and push a little harder. After about a lap and a half, I passed Paul and Tim. I kept ahead of them for about a lap or 2, but they quickly brushed me aside and kept going as I wore myself out.

Again, I have no idea where I finished. No results or anything like that posted. But I do know that it took the leaders like 3 laps to lap me, and they only did it once. Not too bad compared to last week. Of course last week I probably spent at least 5 minutes fiddling with a dropped chain and other things. Only mechanical this time was a broken seatpost. After remounting right before a steap desent, I didn't get clipped in and hit this rut. I almost ate %$&, but managed to stay on and keep going. It was funny to think that I may just take a header, but then hear the crowds oohs and aahs as they looked in anticipation me bailing. So for half the race, I had to ride with a floppy seat. It didn't seem to affect things as it stayed in place, just sort of rattled around.

I think the highlight of the evening was launching myself off of a pile of woodchips. There were two piles of woodchips about 3 ft tall, that on the first lap everyone got off and ran over. On the second lap, I said to myself, I can ride this. So I dropped down to my little ring and started spinning like crazy, anticipating bogging down in the loose stuff. Well, it had all been packed down and I hit that thing going pretty fast. I launched a couple of feet in the air, landing at the base of the next pile. Man, scared the crap out of me. But once I realized I was still upright, I just kept hammering.

So good times. I got lapped by probably 10 people or so, and lapped 10 myself. So middlish of the pack I guess. What I need to think about as I start getting more in to it is realizing the race is only 45 minutes. I am pacing myself as if it were a 2 hour race. I need to stop resting on the decents and realize I only have 10 minutes left, not an hour and a half. Oh well, these first few races are just for fun, right? Starting next month, we'll see how I do in the B's. I guess I hope to just finish on the lead lap. But I also need to be more confident, start off closer to the front and push people out of the way when they are slowing me down on a run up, rather than walk behind them and rest. Its a race for cryin' out loud, get out of the way!! Can't wait for next week!

Oh, one other funny thing. It doesn't seem like Team Wrong Way is a family name in the world of cross. People comment and laugh about my jersey during the race, as if they have never heard of us. Sheesh. Well, I guess I am the poster boy for TWW SF CX. Don't know if thats a good or bad thing, but people are feeling the wrath of solid midpack finisher.

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home