TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Monday, March 23, 2009

Toro race results - KLUNKER and hardtail


Guys

I raced the klunker at Toro with the new wheels Jeff built for me using Sturmy Archer drum brakes. I killed it!

I was on mark to a podium run on the klunker, the bike working great, brakes making a huge difference from the coaster brake race of 2 weeks prior. I was still able to out pace the brakes, getting them to fade often, but the control was so much better. And even through I broke through the lip of a berm I was railing during my race run (costing me ~4-5 seconds, I reckon) I went on to get a 3rd place in the Single Speed class! Now, when one considers everyone else in the class is either on a hardtail SS with front suspension or a full suspension conversion, all with disc brakes, of course, you'll see what a success it was for this old bike.

Then I went on the smoke the competition in the Hardtail class, winning the category and breaking the 4:00 minute mark! Hee hee.....

I bagged my Expert run, though. My body was beat after two races, and the wind speed was only getting worse through the day, gusting ~ 40 mph, a headwind. My left calf cramped up immediately at the start of my klunker run. I just ignored the cramp as best I could in the race, but it did affect me. I'm still a bit hobbled this morninng. My Hardtail time, btw, would have won the Expert class. So it was a good day.

I feel pretty proud.

Check out the pics. I'll have others a bit later from the podium.

Scott Seery

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home