TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Monday, March 08, 2010

Riley's First Race - by Scott and Riley Schlachter



Riley and I went to the Santa Clara BMX Track yesterday and tried our hands in BMX Racing. I recently bought an older, used Mini BMX bike for Riley that needed a bunch of work - spent the weekend fixing it up, and got the final adjustments made on Sunday morning

The weather was perfect, the course in good shape, and we both had a blast. Since it was our second time to the track (first time was just a practice day), I had to sign us both up for ABA licenses - but at $85 for both, it wasn't too bad. I entered in the "Cruiser" class, and Riley in the 5-and-under amatuer class. We decided to just do the practice session and see how it went. When it came time for the qualifiers, Riley said he didn't want to race, but wanted me to (with him watching from the bleachers). Then after the first two qualifier rounds he rode up to the start entrance with his helmet on and said "I want to race Daddy". We got there just in time for the third and final qualifier. I went first and barely made the cut - on my 26" wheeled dirt jumper mountain bike (they were calling me the "mountain bike guy" on the PA system). Then Riley went - with all the lanes full (I think there are 8 total). He took 2nd place in his qualifier! Then, in our respective final races, we both took 3rd. I think there were 5 people total in my race - two older guys who were really fast, a 10 year old kid, and I think a woman. Riley, on the other hand, had a full set of lanes again, and managed to do really well with the third placing. I was so proud. He's hooked, and wants to go again next weekend. I just picked up a real cruiser frame from craigslist... :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home