TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Thursday, October 02, 2008

TWW Dominates the Track Fights #8 Team Competition!!!


Team Wrong Way discussing strategy to crush the competition
(photo courtesy of Kirt Fitzpatrick)

Wow, great night last night - four brave souls showed up to the final race in the Track Fight series. We tried to get organized, and for the most part did pretty good for a bunch o' mountain bikers. The Saunier Duval dude still rocked it and we sucked his wheel a lot, but none of us got lapped and took the next four spots:

2nd - Matt Walters
3rd - Mike Gin and Scott Schlachter (tie)
5th - Rafael Rius

I think we won like 5 or 6 of the Sports Basement primes too (8 available). And several of the point sprints. We easily won the team competition, getting Sexual Camel roadie caps and a case of I think it was Longboard Ale or something like that.
I was really happy with my race - this time I didn't do some crazy leg heavy workout 36 hours before the race - so my legs felt much better. And now that I had one race under my belt, I wasn't nearly as nervous as the first time - I understood a little better what to do. Kirt said I improved and did much better this race. I thought I could keep up with the main pack and not get lapped with fresh legs and a little experience - and I did, so that was cool. I won the very first sprint on lap 1, Kirt called a prime on that lap - my response to him was, "already?!!!"

I think I got a couple of 2nds and another 3rd in the point sprints. I couldn't recover fast enough though to really challenge in the others. But I hung with the group. Winning the prime was a cool thing, but my crowning achievement was taking a 2nd place in front of the surprised SD guy. So I see Rafael take off then the SD guy. I was actually pretty far back but cranked it up big time. So much so that I scared Matt when I flew by him doing my best Robbie McEwen and weaving through the traffic (I probably would've been disqualified for a dangerous sprint in le Tour... :) ). I closed on the SD guy and took him right at the line as he looked over his shoulder. This might be where I hit my top speed of 33.5 MPH. Good fun.

So actually I'm kinda disappointed that these things are over. The Camel boys and girls put on a super fun, low key, no attitude event. Good introduction into the roadie scene, although I doubt you'll see me doing any road races anytime soon. I do though want to hit up the cross scene, so I can utilize some of this fitness other than for kicking Keith's a$$ in our monthly competitions... :)

For you numbers geeks, here is some data:

Average speed: 21.9 MPH
Top speed: 33.5 MPH
Average HR: 177
Max HR: 193

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home