TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Monday, October 27, 2008

Velo Bella Spirt of Surf City Psycho Cross 10/26/08



I think this was stop #2 on the NCNCA cross cup circuit. So there was for sure going to be some competition at this race. And of course I had the worst week of training up to the race - felt sick, worked out on Tuesday and nearly died, so nothing else up to race day. Nursing some sort of virus that had morphed into swollen glands and the dreaded cold sore. Not enough sleep either (although this is somewhat normal for me but seemed really bad with less than 5 hours of sleep for many of the nights).

So with all that in mind I had low expectations but remained hopeful to do moderately well. I took off on the first lap after yelling at Schlachter to get his a$$ in gear since he showed up right at the start line as the race was starting - problems with changing his tire. I got a good position and was probably top 10-15 of the group. Allan Sherlock was on his singlespeed CX bike and was somewhere behind me. Some guy yelled encouragement to his teammate who was passing aggressively on the right - "Go Jimmy!!! Yeah!!!" Then Jimmy was into the tape and did a full on header. His friend was all, "ooohh". Classic.

So this course was similar to the course they did last year - lots of grass, no man made dismounts, a couple of run ups that you could ride up if the line was clear, some pavement, some loose downhills - and of course the infamous "swirly". I was still holding my position for most of the first lap. We crossed the finish line and

I knew then it wasn't going to be a good day. Was pretty much in survival mode after that first lap. Schlachter passed me and then shortly thereafter Allan passed me. I never saw them again. So I pretty much cruised it for the remaining 6 laps or so, getting passed by many people. Figured dang, might be pulling a DFL on this one. Not sure if I got lapped, as some fast muthas were warming up too - I guess once the official results are posted we'll know. Just a little confusion in the end there - didn't know I was on the last lap - might have been able to sprint with a guy in my class but probably not so no big
deal. Guess I should pay closer attention to the guy holding the lap signs at the start finish.

No power today, no nuttin'. I haven't downloaded my HR numbers, but I know the thing wasn't chirping at me near as much as last weekend in Liverwhore. Oh well, can't always be on and know that clearly whatever I had sapped much of my energy. But still had a good time.

I ended up 27/36, so at least not DFL. Schlactosin rocked it with a 9th place finish in the same category. And Allan took a 13th. So a very successful day for the TWW CX crew. Oh and Bob Lofland was there too and took 21st in his category. Way to represent TWW!!!

Thanks to Roz (Allan's wife for the photos and for cheering us on). I will post some of them on our website when I get a chance.

We watched the kid's race and watched Riley Schlachter rip it up on the course - he got a sweet goodie bag and scored a medal! Way to go Riley. Liam was registered too, but in classic Schlachter factor form, missed his start time (he was napping).

The costume cross was of course quite the event - lots of men looking way too comfortable in women's clothing. My coconut bra stayed on fine but didn't feel anything like the lace I'm use to wearing.

Thanks to the Velo Bella crew for putting on another FAB U LOUS event.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home