TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Napa Valley Dirt Classic Race Report by Matt Leonard

Man, I'm sore! So I've been riding pretty sporadically lately, and never know what to expect until I actually start turning the pedals over. But, overall, I've been feeling better than expected, and set what I felt was a lofty goal of breaking the 1:50 mark this year. The NVDC always is a special race for me, since it was my first ever back in 2005 where I finished with a time of 2:13:38. In 2006 I cut that time down to 1:59:29, and even further in 2007 where I came in at 1:53:51. So it only seemed right that I attempt to best my previous result. (Missed last years race.)

I arrived around 8:00, registered and started making sure I had remembered to pack everything. After getting ready, I made my rounds and said hello to all the usual suspects. As I was double checking everything, I chatted with two nice young ladies who where unloading matching Ventana single speeds, and had matching Ventana kits, talking about Saturdays road race. Later in the day, I spent the majority of the climb with them, and they both turned out to be good company and motored away from me once the trail flattened out enough for them to keep their cadence up.

I lined up with Rafael and a few other friends, much further back than anticipated. In years past, I remembered more starts. Not this year, we were the 6th start and way in back. DOH! We took off, and almost immediately, one of the juniors on the AC team (who dominated at Boggs) decided he saw a nice hole in the pack, and shot sideways across the road, nearly taking about 3 of us out. We warned him in the future he needs to be more aware of his surroundings, and he could have caused a pretty good pile up. But, no harsh words, just "be more careful next time". Anyway, back to racing, sort of. We hit the first little single track, and wind up waiting in line just like at the Sea Otter.

After some fire road catching up, I caught and passed Hillstrom. Then through the wooptydoos, I could see another TWW jersey. Once in the single track, I was trailing Rafael while we were in the Sport conga line. Eventually, we made our way around people who kept bobbling, but Rafael got the worst of it and continued to be forced off the bike and seemed to be directly behind the rider who bobbled. After what seemed like his 2nd or third hang up, I was able to stay on my bike and keep riding and made it by him. I continued to make my way through the pack, and once we hit the decent, I tried to get around people as safely as possible. Then, staring me right in the face, I looked up and realized it was time to climb. My hopes of using my theoretical 2x9 gearing quickly went out the window, and I was in my granny gear in no time. However, other than two hang ups with people bobbling in front of me, I was able to ride the entire climb out, constantly trading places with the Ventana single speed girls.

Once it flattened out, I was still feeling good, and began reeling people in one by one, continually checking number plates for the number 11, indicating Sport Men 19-34. I think during the last half hour, the only person I passed in my category was someone with a serious chain suck issue on the side of the trail. I let a few people get by me near the airport who were not in my category , but I was still moving at a good pace in my big ring. I tried to catch 2 of them, but no such luck. Then, about 100 yards before you pop out on to the grass field, my front wheel slides out and I prepare to go down. Luckily, my WTB Weirwolf said screw you, bit right in and sent me through the turn and kept me going. With a big smile, all I could think of was that its been a long time since I've crashed, and I'm due for one, but not today. I raced my butt off around the track, half a lap behind the same two guys, but always racing the clock.

I had started my watch while waiting at the start line, and when I crossed the finish line, it said about 1hr 55min. I knew that put me close to my goal, but wasn't exaclty sure. Turns out, I came in at 1:49:28, just barely reaching my goal and placing 6th out of maybe 30 or so people. I am really excited with my result, and even feel I deserved some of the crap I got about not racing expert. Although, five minutes behind the leader, in my opinion, doesn't classify me as a sandbagger. Taking a quick look at the expert results, I would have placed 24th out of 28, maybe more if there was another update with the results. All in all, a great day of racing. I just wish I could have stayed to enjoy the weather and have a few frosty beverages. Oh well, thats life I guess.

Matt Leonard
6/27 or more 1:49:28

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home