TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Sea Otter by Mike Urbina

I really wanted a podium this year so I concentrated on being ready for this one. I ate right, got more sleep, trained according to how much time I had until the race. The week before the race I did an epic ride that started in Morgan Hill and included Metcalf Road, Quimby Road and upper Mt. Hamilton. I felt like superman that day. The very next day, Saturday, exactly one week before the race, I woke up sick. Really sick. So sick I didn't go to work Monday and Tuesday. I stayed home and pretty much slept for 2 days. The day before the race comes and I'm still far from 100% but hey, I'm paid up so I'm going for it.TI got a good position on the starting line for a change which was nice. On my right was my friend Curt Kimble who had just come off a 2nd place finish at NVDC. Off to my left I saw Glen Cockrell who I battled all race long for the lead at CCCX#4. I knew I had my work cut out for me.We took off around the track and I knew I didn't want to get pushed too far to the edges of the peloton. Well, I'd never been in the MIDDLE of a peloton this size and it was a scary place! There was alot of bumping and leaning on each other going on. As we rounded turn 11 Glen took the lead and I settled into the top 5. Through Rainey curve I got hit from behind by someone who almost went down. I just kept looking forward and kept the bike straight. Up the corkscrew I got passed by about 20 people before we funneled into the dirt. No problem methinks, there's plenty of room to pass up ahead. We got to the fire road and I watched Curt and many others slowly pull away from me. I was kind of in denial about what effect my illness was having on me but now I had accept that I was getting dropped and there was really nothing I could do about it. The technical sandy sections were fun as always. About 2 miles before I got to The Grind I could see Glen up ahead. Before long I caught and passed him. As I went by he said "I'm done". I replied no you're not, get on my wheel and try to relax. Damned if he didn't do just that! We motivated each other all the way up the grind and we were slowly picking off other riders. About a half mile from the top I could see Curt up ahead and then it was ON. He became my target for the remainder of the race. As we reached the summit of The Grind, my focus switched from holding off Glen to catching Curt. It was then that I finally pulled clear of Glen. I was closing on Curt but ran out of time, I finished just behind him by 19 seconds.We were talking after crossing the line and wondered if we might be in the top 10 but it was not to be today. We took 13th and 14th. I was a little disappointed but felt I did all I could do so....what the hey.
Usually at SOC I bolt right after the race but since Curt camped with a friend with a trailer, I went over for some post-race refreshments. We checked out the expo, partook in some of the food which was surprisingly good and ran into some some of our competitors. It was cool getting everyone's perspective after the fact. As we were eating, up walks Sherlock who sat down and ate with us. Unfortunately he didn't race due to other commitments.

--Mike U. 14/56

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home