TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Friday, June 11, 2010

SB Racing Finals By Mik Urbina



Decided to go single speed on this one. Off the line I was spinning out again but not DFL this time. Actually started passing some people on the fire road then it was onto pavement (Jacks Road) and climbing..We then hung a left onto a groomed but very gravelly fire road that started out fairly steep. Needless to say I was having trouble finding traction but stayed on the bike. Even some on geared bikes were walking this.


This lung burning section went on for about a half mile then we started descending. After about 3 miles we are back on Jacks Road and going downhill. I am first single speeder at this point. I sprint to catch a draft off a guy on a geared bike and tuck in right on his rear wheel. His rear derailler starts acting up and I get a little worried that his chain may wrap up with me about 2 inches from his wheel. Up ahead I see a sharp left back onto the dirt but something is not right. There are riders coming up the road toward us, funneling into the dirt. A photographer yells "you guys went the wrong way". I go you've got to be kidding but no, he says "you were supposed to turn right about a quarter mile back up the road". The guy in front of me and a guy behind me ignored him but I went back UP the road and found the correct trail, losing about a minute and a half in the process. I was pissed.
Ok, now let's see if I can do it all over again! Part of me just wanted to give up but I put my head down and decided not to. I can see Brett Hahn, another single speeder, up in the distance and make him the target. I know there is at least one other SS'r in front of us and that he has a vertical stripe on the back of his jersey (I made a mental note at the start). I caught up to Brett and ask him if he'd seen the other guy and he says yes. I start to try and put some distance between Brett and I but he is glued to my wheel. As we enter The Grind I can see Mr. Stripe up ahead and he looks like he's laboring a bit. I tell Brett "let's get this guy". I pick up the pace a little and begin to close in little by little. As I catch him I take a quick look over my shoulder to see if Brett's still with me. He's about 100 yards back now. I pass the lead SS'r (John). At first I pull a good enough gap to where I can't see John anymore but then he seemed to catch
fire. On the singletrack before Hurl Hill I get a glimpse of him. Oh crap. From there I just gave it all I had and railed all the downhill sections to keep him at bay.
Despite running scared at the end, I crossed the line in first. Good racing.

--Mike U. 1/5 Sport Single Speed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home