TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Pilarcitos #2 at Candlestick Point - 11/02/08


Well the weather leading up to the race was quite nasty to say the least. Lots of rain the two days before the big race. I packed tons of clothing, two towels, a tarp, a pump sprayer full of water to hose me off with, and plastic bags to put the muddy clothes in. I was ready.

As it turns out, didn't need any of that extra stuff - the weather conditions turned to high 60's and blue skies, and since we were the last race of the day, much of the course had dried out - there were two spots where you got a little splatter, but hardly any really. Fun course, definitely a power course. Pretty bumpy too.


So lots of familiar faces there, including Matt Walters trying out his first CX race of the year, Matt Leonard, Jeff Hane, Scott Schlachter, and myself. We all were racing the open B category. Big category with some fast muthas. I saw several guys riding bikes with wheelsets that cost more than my complete bike. Clearly they took cross pretty darn seriously.
We didn't get a chance to pre-ride the course but figured with that large of a group, that you would get a chance to test out the course on the first lap anyhow. Myself, Matt, and Scott were near the back so we didn't get a good start - that was okay with me, as I didn't need to get caught up in the melee at the beginning and overdo it which I seem to sometimes do.

I was cruising with Schlachter, feeling pretty good (much better than last week). We were trailing Matt, basically following him. We hit the kinda sorta run-up (only on the first lap due to all the riders). At the top I see Matt W. off to the side fidgeting with his bike - he cobbled it together the day before and well, let's just say that's not recommended. That would pretty much be the end of his day.

I kept up with Scott for awhile, but then lost sight of him probably at the 30 minute mark. I was cruising with Paule of Roaring Mouse for a bit too - he was showing me the good lines - thanks! But then eventually he would pull away as well (he finished 45 seconds in front of me). I think I raced as fast as I could, pretty consistent. But the open B category is probably more than my training can keep up with. At about the 39 minute mark, one of those guys with the $1,000+ wheelset came flying by - he was the race leader. I told him good job and thank you - my race was shortened by a lap! I had prepared in my mind that I was going to get lapped so I wasn't disappointed. Actually pretty happy that it took as long as it did.

Once again, I didn't pay attention to the lap signs, and didn't sprint at the end. I got passed right at the line by one more guy in the lead group - so five guys lapped me. Dude was flying.

So our results weren't spectactular, but of note was that Schlachter beat Hane - that'll teach him to fly some other colors (have to give Jeff some credit - he did race the A's earlier but did a DNF). I wasn't able to catch him but didn't finish that far behind him. The best though was seeing the look on Scott's face when he saw me already finished - "you beat me?!" I said, "yep". He clearly was suffering and a bit delirious - so I let it go for a little longer but then told him the truth. He was relieved.

Results:

52/85 Scott Schlachter
74/85 Mike Gin (avg. HR 180, max 188)
DNF Matt Walters

Hane was in the mid 60's (can't remember exactly), Matt Leonard was I think 25th - nicely done. It was good seeing Jon Heim there too - thanks for all the heckling - nice to hear a familiar voice while suffering (Shaney and Matt W's wife too - thanks for the cheering). Thanks Matt W. for the feeds - guess your DNF did serve the team well in some way... :)

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home