TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Sunday, May 31, 2009

CCCX XC # 7 - Mike Urbina




While Rafael, Matt, and Allan were sweating it out at Lake Sonoma, I was representing at CCCX.

The race was at Fort Ord but the course was completely different this time. Instead of going left at the end of the long start straight, we went to the right, onto some trails that were not used the last time.



I talked to Jim, the series leader in our group, as we were warming up and he said the course only had about 400 feet of climbing but was "diabolical". More on that later.

I told him I was surprised that he wasn't racing expert today since he had already locked up the series in the sport class. He explained that he'd qualified for the nationals (by virtue of his 2nd place finish at Sea Otter) and if he raced expert he would disqualify himself. Understandable.

I lined up on the second row but somehow got pushed back to mid-pack by the time we rolled up to the line. No worries- the long, paved start affords plenty of passing room before we funnel into the single track.

Off the start, I went to the front after about 200 yards. I was feelin' it, so I went. Just before the single track I heard someone coming up on my left, hammering, out of the saddle. I didn't even look back, I knew who it was. So I latch onto Jim's wheel as we enter the single track. As we hit the first climb, another rider passes me and I take an alternate line that turns out to be not so good. At the top of said climb we are frieght training wheel to wheel and actually banging bars to get to the next single track downhill section first. This was a RACE! As we hit the DH I wish I'd gotten there first; they are going damn fast but I knew I could go a little faster if I was in front. No matter though, we came into a tight little dogleg section with a berm that caught me off guard. I came into it completely sideways (see photos below), almost saved it till I hit the berm and went over the bars. I got up quickly and managed to catch the leaders again at which time I passed them both and started to pull away.

I was surprised this was happening!

I held Jim off for most of the first lap but he came by me about a quarter mile before the start/finish at the end of the lap. At that point I decided I needed to run my own race and let him go. The other guy we were battling kept creeping up behind me, making me work for my position all the way to the finish. I found out later he was in the 19-34 catagory. I don't know how or why but he was with us most of the race- maybe he missed his start or something. It was good though because he pushed me to go harder than I would have had he not been there.

Anyway, I figured Jim was just playing with me on that first lap but when I checked the times after the race, he'd beaten me by exactly one minute. I know that's still an eternity but it's by far the closest I've been able to get to this guy. Usually he has 4-5 minutes over 2nd place; he's a complete animal!

Granted, I don't think he had one of his best days (I heard him telling someone so after the race) but I'll take it. I think the heat, around 85 at race time, was affecting people. I overheard many saying they didn't take enough water.

I could definitely see why Jim said the course would be brutal. Fast course = fast paced race, and that it was. It was fast and actually fairly technical.

I highly recommend make it out to these races, they are awesome!



Stats: 2/14 (45-54 sport) 1:26:05

20.5 miles.

Mike U

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home