TWW Race Reports

Check out our antics at the races!!! Or if you're having trubble sleeping...

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Skyline Race Report by Matt Leonard


Another great race this weekend. This I think is my 4th time at Skyline, but the course was changed a little. Instead of the long fire road, up to the rocky steep climb, we did a short fire road burn and took a little turn in to about a mile of singe track climbing. Everyone was concerned about the Sea Otter style conga line, but I didn't hear any moaning and groaning after the race, so it must not have been too bad. However, I knew that I still had to make it to the front if I wanted a shot at my true goal; beating both John Grover and Chad Arkoff ;-) I consider these guys both to be faster than me, but I have been on a rampage of a comeback lately, and I could see the fear in their eyes ;-) I heard John talking smack in the parking lot, so I approached him and told him I'd take care of his bike while he went and registered. Some how he didn't take me up on my offer, but let me know that "Today I am not racing for the Mouse. I'm registering as 'Team Beat Matt Leonard'." The challenge was gladly accepted.

Waiting for our start, both Chad and John somehow got to the front row, along with our resident SS sandbagger Allan. We take off, and I just put my head down and raced to the single track. By the time I looked up and caught my breath, I was about 5th wheel in the single track, with Allan, John and Chad behind me somewhere. I kept on the gas most of the first lap, making my best effort to stay towards the front, but couldn't keep with the lead guys and people slowly started reeling me in. But thats okay, my plan worked, I didn't get caught behind anyone slower than me, and was able to race my own race for the first half hour. Chad caught me midway through the first lap, but I ran past him before the descent. However, once we hit the S/F fire road, he passed me right back. Crap.

In to the single track climb for the second time I can see Paule ahead and just as I begin to chat it up with him, I can see John Grover coming up the fire road, entering the single track. Crap. Paule slowed up a bit with a a little laugh and giving his teammate a little advantage, but quickly let me by and wished me luck. Okay, Chad is in site in front of me, and John is quickly approaching. I was tired, but not close to bonking. I kept the intensity up, but it wasn't enough. John passed me close to the top and I wished him luck catching Chad. I knew I was still in the top 5 or so, and didn't give up hope. Before the first creek crossing, I saw Chad working on his bike. I guess he had a slow leak and just dumped a CO2 cartridge in to his tire and jumped right back on his bike. Then, here comes Urbina roaring by me, never to be seen again.

Through the rolly stuff, I just kept racing my race, passing a few people here and there, being passed a few times. I sort of got stuck behind someone on the last exposed rocky climb, but didn't have the strength to pass him. All I could think about was that Chad would be on me at any moment. Down all the twisty switchbacks, over the little bridge and the last little fire road climb before the finishing sprint by the RV parking and the gravel fire road. I could see John just at the top of the climb. I gave it all I had to try and catch him, and as I was motoring up the hill, Chad zips right by me. DOH! The chase is on. I stick with Chad through the grass and on to the gravel. John is sitting in behind two guys drafting, and I can see Chad is lining himself up to sit in right behind the 3 of them. For a split second, I had mentally settled on defeat. Then, a quick @#$% that! I put it in the big ring, and kept on the gas right around all four of them on the outside of the uphill gravel turn. Just as I came by, the guy in 2nd wheel decided to jump and make his move. He got squirly almost ate it, nearly taking John out, but one of those two front guys kept his momentum up and got ahead of me. I could tell he wasn't in my age group and just pedaled like hell to stay on his wheel. It all paid off and John and Chad weren't able to catch me.

Going in to the race, I knew John, Chad and I would finish next to each other somewhere in the top 5. But I was figuring maybe 2, 3, and 4, with John, Chad then me. Well, turns out I got 2nd, Chad got 3rd, and John came in right behind us in 4th, all separated by less than 10 seconds. What a great race!!! Now, I need to figure how much I'd really like to go to Colorado for the Mountain Bike National Championships. Katie's parents live about 2 hours away, but we already have a trip planned two weeks prior to visit with her parents. We'll see, if flights are cheap, I can borrow a case to ship my bike, etc., I may actually go.

Matt
2/13 1:41ish Sport Men 19-34

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home